EXECUTIVE ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
PEAR THEATRE 1110 La Avenida Mountain View CA 94043
The Pear Theatre is seeking an Executive Artistic Director to set and fulfill the artistic and operational vision of the theatre. The focus of the Artistic Director will be to build upon the excellence of the Pear’s artistic achievements and to continue raising the high production standards of the theatre in a sustainable and cost-effective manner. In addition, the Artistic Director will be responsible for efforts to increase the number of patrons and subscribers and to raise funds for the Pear.
* Artistic ability: The Artistic Director must have the talent to review scripts and other theatre projects to determine their artistic value and suitability to the Pear. In addition, the AD needs the theatrical experience and skill to evaluate the work of directors, actors, and designers involved in Pear productions.
* Budget development capability: The Artistic Director needs to weigh the relative costs of work and materials in order to create budgets for the Pear and then to oversee the work of directors and designers in preparing and adhering to budgets.
* Capacity for collaboration: It is necessary for the AD to work in harmony with different theatre artists and Pear employees, and to collaborate with the Pear’s Board of Directors. Furthermore, the AD must commit to applying the measures described in Pear People Policy for conflict avoidance and resolution.
* Faithfulness to our mission: The Artistic Director must share the Pear’s goal of producing theatre of a consistently high artistic caliber.
* Leadership: The AD must lead those who work at the Pear as employees and volunteers, sustaining and enhancing their commitment to the Pear’s work.
* Ability to represent the public face of the Pear: The AD must be able to communicate the Pear’s vision and value to the public.
* Oversee the integration and management of production elements: hire production staff, assist directors in auditioning cast members, participate in production meetings, provide feedback at the designer run rehearsal and at least one technical rehearsal
* Work with a Production Manager on issues related to the production and the budget
* Approve printed marketing materials, including season brochure, production postcards, posters, and programs
* Coordinate and approve all theatre publicity, including website content and email blasts
* When possible, attend all opening galas and production strikes
Work with Board of Directors
* Attend Board meetings frequently, as requested by the Board
* Present the proposed season of plays to the Board members for their reactions
* Work with the Board to set budgets for the season and solicit Board approval of production expenses
* Collaborate with the Board to plan and execute fundraising campaigns and events for each season
Work with Steering Committee
* Select a Steering Committee to ensure the continued smooth running of the theatre
* Meet regularly with that Committee to troubleshoot and plan Pear activities
Oversee theatre operations
* Obtain production rights for copyrighted plays and ensure that royalties are paid 2-4 weeks before the opening of a play
* Work with the Treasurer to ensure that employees are paid according to their contracts, that all bills are paid in a timely manner, and that revenues from box office, donations, concessions, and other sources are deposited and noted by the Treasurer at the end of each production weekend
Work with the Pear Playwrights Guild on new play development
* Read plays chosen for the Fresh Produce developmental readings; attend these developmental readings, if possible
* Work with the Pear Slices directors to choose an evening’s worth of short plays from those submitted by the Pear Playwrights Guild for Pear Slices
Participate, without additional compensation, in at least one production in the season, as a theatre artist, such as director, actor, or designer
BA degree in a discipline related to theatre arts, or a BA degree in another field, supplemented by experience in acting, directing, stage management, theatre production, or theatre administration
Salaried position, information available on request
Start date: Spring, 2020
The Pear Theatre does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
Please send a cover letter and resume by October 1, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org.